Job: Senior Program Officer, ICT, National democratic Institute for International Affairs, Washington DC
This information is cross posted from: https://ndi.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo…
Senior Program Officer, ICT
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking a Program Manager to identify new and innovative program approaches using technology, and secure program funding from new sources and existing donors.
- Propose and implement methodologies to mainstream new innovations across NDI’s programs.
- Promote and present NDI’s technology projects in public and with NDI staff in trainings, skills shares, and presentations.
- Advise staff on best practices in using innovative technology and assist programs in implementing sustainable technology initiatives.
- Provide training and technical assistance to NDI staff in implementing innovation technology and with partners.
- Document and write about innovation tech and NDI technology projects.
- Identify, research, and report on promising, innovative technologies that support NDI’s democracy development work, such as: mapping and data visualization, information analysis using Open Data tools, creative uses of mobile and a variety of other technologies and concepts adapted for difficult political and/or low infrastructure environments.
- Consult with engineers, ICT, NDI functional and regional program staff to identify innovative approaches and solutions.
- Promote NDI’s ICT and innovation programs internally and externally.
- Provide guidance to NDI program teams on integrating innovative and appropriate technologies into legislative, civic, political party and elections programs.
- Write and edit blog posts, case studies, program proposals, concept papers, and program reports.
- Write and promote best tech practices, case studies, technical and non-technical guides for NDI staff and partners.
- Lend support to Program Manager by providing effective management of multiple grants with multiple programs and reconciliations; oversees appropriate application of allowable costs; ensure that they stay within budget limits; anticipates and successfully addresses costs and overages, and implements solutions to budget variances; guides other staff regarding structures and mechanisms.
- Develop program concepts and lead strategic discussions; manage proposal process and timeline for proposal submissions; develop program objectives, results and indicators, as well as program strategy.
- Conduct in-country trainings, assessments and consultation on political applications of technology in various democratic institutions with NDI partners and staff;
- Conduct significant outreach activities to educate NDI staff on various aspects of ICT programming.
- Cultivate relationships with international democratic development practitioners, politicians, local activists, vendors and political technologists and raise NDI’s profile as an international development organization with innovative approaches to technology.
- Follow NDI Technology team’s documented policies and procedures.
This position requires domestic and international travel.
- Required Skills
- Proven ability to work at a high strategic and operational level with government politicians and officials, non-governmental leaders, tech partners and vendors.
- Experience providing technical and political consulting and implementation services on IT usage to partners and politicians in various cultural environments.
- Excellent writing skills, especially for non-technical audiences. Ability to produce high-quality written content (reports, blog posts, case studies, proposals, etc) on short notice and with fast turnarounds.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal, written and via online media such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Smooth multi-tasking among four or more responsibilities.
- Experience with Google Applications required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Additional language skills strongly preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations, which are often remote and difficult to reach.
- Required Experience
- Masters Degree required. Degrees in Political and/or Computer science strongly preferred.
- Minimum six (6) years of relevant experience; preferably in applying technology to international development, community organizing, elections or political campaigns, organizational development, and/or legislative affairs.
- Political, campaign or organizing experience highly desired.
- Experience working or consulting on technology projects required.
- Technology skills, particularly related to web, mapping, visualization, mobile applications required.
- Living/working experience outside of the US in developing country(ies) required.
Candidates should include a cover letter: state why you believe you are uniquely qualified, your professional strengths, and areas you want to focus in for learning.
NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Location
- Washington, DC, District of Columbia, United States
- Position Type