Learn Something New in 2013 – Take an Online Course with TechChange!
This four-week online professional development certificate course will explore how new communication and mapping technologies are being used to respond to disasters, create early warning mechanisms, improve coordination efforts and much more. From the earthquake recovery efforts in Haiti and Japan to the monitoring of election violence in countries like Kenya to the recent floods in the Philippines, this course will consider a variety of real world examples from organizations working in the field and analyze some of the key challenges related to access, implementation, scale, and verification that working with new technology presents. The course is designed to assist professionals in developing concrete strategies and technological skills to work amid this rapidly evolving landscape.
Course Topics and Featured Tech:
– Mapping the Crisis: New Techniques for Disaster Response and Preparedness
– Human Rights Violations and Elections Monitoring
– The Power of the Crowd: Citizen Journalism in the era of Crowdsourcing
– Information Overload: Verification, Analysis, and Decision Making in Real-Time
– Featured Technologies: Ushahidi, FrontlineSMS, Open Street Map, Sahana, ArcGIS Online, Basic GIS and more!
Participants will be able to…
– Critically analyze both the opportunities and the pitfalls that emerge when working with technology to respond to crises
– Connect relevant development, humanitarian and peacebuilding theories to the technological strategies and tools discussed in the course
– Manage specific software platforms and utilize various technological tools for responding to and managing crisis
– Design dynamic and effective strategies for using technology platforms and tools to respond to social challenges
$395 if you use the “PCDN” code in your application$495 if application and payment is submitted by Jan 21st